nick rising, attorney
Nicholas Rising is an associate attorney at Holsinger Law.
Nicholas focuses his practice on water law, land use law, and business law in administrative, transactional, and litigation matters. Nicholas has experience with litigation from district court through appeals. He has also advised clients on trust & estate matters, and drafted documents to defend clients’ intellectual property and to recover payment from debtors.
Nicholas earned his J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. In law school, the University of Denver Environmental Law Clinic named him the “Outstanding Student Attorney of the Year,” and awarded the 2016 Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute Award for impact in the sustainable development field. Nicholas serves as an officer in the U.S. Army Reserve Judge Advocate General's Corps. He was admitted to the Colorado Bar in October 2016 and served as a law clerk for the honorable Judge Lily W. Oeffler in Colorado’s First Judicial District.
- Drafted appellate briefs on novel issues concerning state law preemption of local oil & gas regulations, and to confirm the property rights of irrigation districts.
- Authored Complaint to defend the rights of minority shareholders.
- Opposed applications that would harm clients’ senior water rights.
- Assisted clients in change of use proceedings.
- Drafted regulations for an irrigation district to manage cost of providing water to domestic users.
- Assisted in the sale of water storage rights to a water conservancy district.
- Managed permitting projects for oil & gas clients.
- Protected clients’ income and intellectual property by drafting demand as well as cease and desist letters.
- Opposed local development board’s decision to approve a project that would harm clients’ real estate value and enjoyment of their property.
- Counseled clients on trust and estate issues to avoid adverse tax consequences.
- Authored Court Report, San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Auth. v. Jewell, 969 F. Supp. 2d 1211 (E.D.
Cal. Aug. 22, 2013), 17 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 412 (2014).
J.D. May 2016
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law Denver, Colorado
B.A. Geography May 2007
University of Colorado Boulder, Colorado
professional and civic affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association